Start a Hiking Journal Using These Writing Prompts
Hiking journals are a great way to remember your outdoor adventures. Whether you’ve been writing in a hiking journal for a while or you’re only just now thinking about starting one, we’ve gathered 15 fun prompts for you to try the next time you go on a hike.
Prompts for what you see
1. Consider all the colors you can find in nature. What stands out to you? What do the colors remind you of? Which colors did you see on your hike this time?
2. Is there a particular landscape element that you look for on a hike, like a waterfall or a certain type of tree? Why do you look for it? Did you find one of those things on your hike today?
3. If you’re camping, how does the campsite look at night? How different does the campsite look in the daytime?
4. For hikers who are artistic, make a sketch of flowers or leaves you see on the trail, or perhaps a landscape you find particularly breathtaking.
5. Can you see the stars? Do you know the stories behind them? If not, make up one or two of your own.
Prompts for what you smell
6. What do you smell? Are there any distinct scents in the air? What are they, and what do they remind you of?
7. Think of your favorite smell. Is it something that could be found in nature? If not, what’s its closest nature equivalent?
8. For hikers who also love to cook, think about the herbs and spices in your kitchen. Do you recognize any of the plants around you as items you may use to season food while you’re cooking?
Prompts for what you hear
9. Take a few minutes to close your eyes and listen to the trail around you. What are some of the noises that you hear? Where are they coming from?
10. Consider the animals that live in nature. Can you hear them? What do you think they’re saying to one another?
11. Perhaps you’re on a trail and you don’t hear much around you. Do you enjoy the silence? Do you experience moments of silence throughout your day at home? Does silence make you uncomfortable, or do you like it?
Prompts for what you think
12. Taking a hike can help you tune out the hustle and bustle of daily routines and give you time to reflect on what’s going on in your life. As you take a moment far away from it all, what are you thinking about?
13. Are you grateful for your ability to hike and enjoy the peace of nature? What else are you thankful for today?
14. What’s your favorite memory involving nature? Perhaps it was a great camping trip or fun kayaking experience. What makes the memory so special?
15. Would you love to bring the spirit off nature home with you? What are some ways you could include nature in your daily life?
Backpacker's Pantry provides ready-to-eat, lightweight camping food for short hikes, extreme adventures and everything in between. Browse our nutritious, gourmet food for the trail.